This school year, at Allendale Columbia School, we embarked on a 1:1 iPad initiative with our Middle School Students. One of the Apps I have consistently recommended to classroom teachers for curricular projects is called Explain Everything. Here’s why:
- It is a very versatile presentation app.
- Record the screen while viewing, add your voice and manipulate just about everything inside the app, even live websites.
- Export out to just about everything
- Export the project file so you can share and collaborate with a partner
- Excellent video help from the Explain Everything YouTube Channel
I was also fortunate enough to bump into the primary designer of the app, Reshan Richards, at a conference and got first hand information about the app. He is the Director of Educational Technology at Montclair Kimberley Academy in Montclair, NJ and founder of Constructivist Toolkit, LLC. He understands what it’s like to be a classroom teacher and the importance of having dependable technology that kids can use.
As our students began using the app, some issues arose. I was able to communicate directly with Reshan to resolve the problems we were having. Reshan suggested we set up a Skype call so he could chat directly with our 7th graders. Our students really enjoyed the call because they were part of the app development process. It was a win for all involved!
The intro video from their website gives a great summary of the many features.